On being vulnerable

Dear Reader,

There are times when things said on the radio stick in the mind and resonate. Before the current cold snap, Radio 4 put out a yellow warning that the temperatures across Britain will drop and for those who are over 65 and vulnerable others should stay indoors. That's me, I thought. I am in that category. 

Momentarily I considered how this bad weather will change my daily rountine. Then I just got on and did exactly what I normally do. However, I must say that Wednesday night tennis at 2c wasn't the best decision I made for this week. I played for a couple of hours. By the end, my hands were numb and my thighs burnt from getting cold. I told the other players to be nice to me as I am officially vulnerable - not much joy there! 

Thursday I turned up for team practice. It was warmer but soon after we started a fine rain blighted our game. At least we were warm, if not a little damp. All was going pretty well until I hit myself. This is something I can honestly say I have never done before. I hit my eyebrow with the racquet. I lost the ball in the floodlight and swung the racquet into my face... ouch!! Now I really do feel a little vulnerable - silly me.

So Friday I set off for London to meet Diane and Jeremy. This was a shopping trip so we planned to meet up at Westfield Shopping Centre at Shepherds Bush. I put in 8000 steps trying to find the cafe we planned to meet up in. Google was at its very worst. It took me one way then changed its mind and then took me another. At one point I was outside the centre and directed to a vehicle only area. 

Carnaby Street

I had all but decided I was going to give up and just sit where I was - somewhere near a very big Zara shop. Google had let me down big time. I calmed down. I re-entered the Bikesoup Cafe into google and set off once more. I found it!!!!! Yay. If I had walked through John Lewis I would have found  it on my first circuit round this monstrosity. Bloody Google!

The actually cafe, once I found it, was wonderful. The bikes on display were top notch and I was tempted to do more than window shop.... There was an electric bike for £3,400  - much reduced of course. It looked lightweight and east to ride. I resisted! The coffee and sandwich were good too. And, of course I got to meet up with Diane and Jeremy. 

We escaped the shopping centre, headed for Liberty - the shop I used to buy cloth from - and oogled at how expensive everything was. Everything in the shop just looked so nice. Liberty is the sort of shop I could really waste time browsing through. 

My favourite shop

So having spent far too much on not very much we went for a lovely curry. Dry January went west... I will have to keep it up til the 1st February now. I fell off the wagon and had an espresso Martini. Then to add to this, I got home and sipped a G&T in the comfort of my home. So having compounded my sin, I have promised myself to be good from this day on. Hey ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Beautiful Land

Beautiful Stony Stratford  There really is no better place than Britain when the sun is shining. This year I appreciate it more than ever ...