A bit of a pickle

 I was so excited. It was to be a great week with three old friends who I used to work with in Singapore. I was so excited that I started packing my bags a whole week before my trip to Norfolk. Who wouldn't? Just imagine us - four women - all foot loose, fancy free and always up for a G&T. What could go wrong? What could there be not to like?

A bad weather wefi

The plans were to take enough food for our own breakfasts and then do one meal each. Easy - except I think we all overdid the food and the drinks. I kept adding to my list thinking it would be a good idea to bring an extra bit of this and a bit of that. I bought one of my homemade pickle jars. This was not a good idea. On the journey the vinegar escaped the jar, seeped through my bag and soaked everything. The bag is still damp but doesn't smell too bad. Not too bad a pickle! 

Our first night together was an international competition - pictionary and table football - with a victory to England! Yay. I think we won with the aid of negronis! Were we truly pickled? Sammi phoned up and probably decided that Mumsie would probably talk more sense another time. Eric, the horse cropped up in conversation along with some other cock and bull. In fact, Eric stayed with us for most of the trip.

When we visited my cousin's place the following day, she mentioned that her dog, Eric, died. It is always sad when a furry, family friend departs. We laughed. We felt embarrassed and contrite. Eric the horse  - such a silly joke - of course there isn't a whisky called Eric. Why should the name Eric make us giggle? God Knows. Silly jokes have since abounded. Having seen signs for dressed crab all over the area, we have since learnt that when crab is dressed, it wears a shell suit - thank you Catrina - a 90s joke!

So as you can see, the holiday had settled into a sublime sense of the ridiculous pretty quickly. I get the blame for being an early riser and clomping around. I take it on the chin. Apparently I wake the others up by making them a cuppa and emptying the dishwasher. All the time I thought I was being helpful. I also drove us through torrential rain and floods by a very circuitous route for our first day out. I actually felt really stressed. Water coming across the road in a torrent above the height of the door is truly scary! Luckily, my good old jalopy kept pushing on just like chitty chitty bang bang. We did most of what we set out to do despite the weather.

Walsingham

What remains of Walsingham Abbey

Being tossed around on the high seas in search of seals booked by a Seale

Stormy skies

Wells- far-too-far-from-the-sea

Wells - I see no sea!

Binham Priory

Norfolk flatness

We have visited seals on a boat trip, eaten fish and chips on a quay and lost house keys. They weren't lost. They were in Margy's spare shoes in the boot of the car. Who would have thought it? I even hurt my back in search of these wretched things! 

So now the holiday whizzed its way to an end. There'll be no more jokes about Little Snoring and Great Snoring, Prior Snoring (A real person!) and Post Snoring (not a real person). We all reckon it has been far too short. The time slipped through our fingers. The gin slipped down our necks and the humour flowed freely. As with all good teams, we found our place and did the sort of things that needed to be done to support each other. There will remain memories of the jigsaw, pictionary cheats, and some things that definitely won't get shared. As they say, what happens in Norfolk, stays in Norfolk!

Roll on next holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Beautiful Land

Beautiful Stony Stratford  There really is no better place than Britain when the sun is shining. This year I appreciate it more than ever ...