Natural Hazards



Life sometimes bites you on the bottom. The swans along the canal have also tried to do that to me and to others this week. In fact, one particular swan with her cluster of fluffy cygnets is so aggressive, people have turned back rather than walk past.

My first encounter on the tow path was with Shadow. She is a feisty dog, so I held her back when this swan started hissing and opening its beak at us. We gave her as much ground as we could and still she lurched at us. It was scary.

The next day I warned a man walking his dog and then the same swan threatened me on my bike. The third time, the swan had managed to divide a group of walkers and one of them was terrified. She refused to go anywhere near the swan. She turned back and refused to carry on her way. Truly scary stuff!

On the last occasion I got off my bike to take a photo. The birds actually look docile. Don't be fooled. As I walked past one swan bit the pedal on my bike. Fortunately, I was the other side of the bike and protected. If only I could have taken a picture of that happening. 

Other natural hazards include having an afternoon drink in my garden. The weather was warm and the wine and negronis flowed effortlessly. My friends, Peter and Jackie came round to join Mark and myself for a Friday afternoon tipple. Mark Richards has been staying with me for a few days. He has come up from Cornwall to holiday in Cosgrove! This is a bit of a reversal. Most people would prefer to go the other way, I'm sure. At least the weather has been good and we have got out and about.


The purpose of Peter and Jackie's visit was for me to pass on instructions to look after my plants while I am away. At least, I think I passed on the instructions. Mind you, with whatsapp you are never too far away from anyone in the world, so it really isn’t too bad if I didn’t quite give a full account.

So, it is off on holiday for me. This is a much-awaited trip to down under via Singapore. I promise to wave to everyone on my in transit stop-over. I’m so excited.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Beautiful Land

Beautiful Stony Stratford  There really is no better place than Britain when the sun is shining. This year I appreciate it more than ever ...