Why we punish ourselves

Good question! We all do and then we wonder why. I played a mixed doubles tennis match against a local club. It was a league match so the points count. The weather was hot by UK standards and I was confident we would win as we played the same club in ladies’ doubles a couple of days before and won really easily.

After four hours on court, my partner Tony and I had won two sets and lost two sets. Stalemate. The other partnership in our team got their games over really quickly. They lost but had plenty of time to sit in the shade and recover before the swap over. In retrospect, a much more sensible way to go. We would have been quicker had the opposition not kept hitting the ball back. I don’t think there were more than a couple of games that didn’t go to deuce. That night, “deuce” became a nightmare trigger.

By the end, the opposition man said he had strained his groin and his partner looked exhausted. I pretended I had enough in me to keep going but the truth was, I too was knackered. I got home flopped on the sofa and then couldn’t get up. I really couldn’t get up. I knew this would be the case – I’d be full of cramp and too stiff to move -  but I still wanted to win. Errr

Suffice to say, I am now fully recovered. I completed my 75 mile swim this week too and have already made inroads into the next 75 miles. Between travel, guests and illness I have managed this distance since 20th March. Sometimes, I get really drained by a 3km swim, especially when I do them back to back on consecutive days. Again, why do I do it?

Doug-an inspiration




Actually, I think I have an inkling. My cousin, Doug, and Louise his daughter, popped over from Australia for a visit and came to my place on Monday. Doug is 80, looks fifty and has more energy than me. I don’t want to slow down and not be able to do things. I reckon if I keep going, I’ll keep going just like Doug. He is an inspiration. So from now on, every twinge, every ache has a silver lining. I’ve just got to keep putting one step in front of another till they carry me out feet first kicking and screaming! Way to go!
A great reason for being around!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Neat

The Horse Tunnel I hate shopping! I can think of almost nothing worse than traipsing around shops to find just the thing I thought I wanted....